Friday, January 27, 2012

I come here in peace. and to work out.

Disclaimer #1: I’d like to start by saying I have no clue how to run a blog. I'm helpless at this very point, but not hopeless. I don't understand any of it. Hyperlinks are foreign to me. I wanted to reach out to people I know, people I don't know, and people who like to read endless babble that can help me and help each other. I want to know your challenges and want to share your victories. I want to swap stories, share tips, apps, alternative menu items at the local restaurants, share recipes, routines, good health articles and so on. Just don't count on me for grammar and proper punctuation. I LOVE speaking in fragments. I'm constantly being finger-wagged by Word documents for verb confusion and I enjoy parentheses & interjecting my own thoughts all too much. I probably won't get any better with time. So if you're a grammar freak, I'm your worst nightmare!

I will now scoop 60 more seconds of your time and introduce myself to the four people who will read this (hi, Mom!). I’ll keep the introduction fairly simple. My name is Heather Beck. I’m 32. I’m a Homewood lifer. I have regrettable tattoos. I quit smoking 465.04 days ago. I work out 5-6 days a week, but mostly 6. Sometimes twice a day. I’m a single mom to a cute little lady I gave birth to seven+ years ago. And two and a half years ago I was overweight. Not like five pounds. More like 50 pounds (plus)…I initially blamed the cute kid, but the older she got I could no longer use her as my scapegoat. That number is still hard for me to digest. (For those of you who know me at all, that pun was totally intended). Oh hey and I'm getting hitched in October (259 days to be exact). Just in time for my 33rd birthday. To a guy who also lost 50 pounds following my regimen. Cheers to us and a healthy life together!

Disclaimer #2: I’m not a nutritionist; I’m not a personal trainer. I have not taken any classes, have not gone to school to be a dietician, nor do I have any certifications under my belt (YET) but one day...hopefully sooner than later because let's face it...I'm not getting any younger. I still have plenty of cellulite left on my arse to share if there are any takers(?) and I have this weird chubby knee complex. My hips are placed unusually high for someone my height (5"1 3/4') and some may mistake them for love handles. Apparently my torso didn't get the memo to keep going. Ah well.

I still have a mountain of work to do. 

I’m someone who did this journey on my own, yet with the emotional support of an army. My Floridian-transplant brother (you better be reading this) was a huge inspiration. We didn't share the same genes for body composition awesomeness (literally - not an ounce of fat on this kid), but his drive for fitness his entire life inspired me (more on this later). I would look at him and wonder how the hell we could possibly share the same DNA. Moving on...I didn’t hire anyone…I didn’t pay anyone (p.s. if I had more expendable money, I would have) and I didn’t cut corners into my new size. No fads, no gimmicks, no pills. I earned this size like a champ. I practice “clean eating”. I listened to copious amounts of advice, read magazines (more on that later when I figure out hyperlinking) and articles til my eyes bled. I remained - and stayed - ridiculously dedicated to myself and kept myself motivated by my progress and my 'cheerleading squad'. Let's not forget my "HB's Workout Jams" playlist on my iPod. Songspiration.

I’m so curious what everyone else is into and what has worked for you. I'm a fitness sponge. AND a stalker. I’m always staring at other people’s food and I am that gym gawker. I’m the one that stares at you and steals your awesome moves. I have faith in other people’s knowledge and I use it for personal gain. Can we motivate each other? Anyone listening? (Is this thing on?)
Stay tuned, folks…

Sincerely,
Desperately Seeking Help with Triceps

A beautiful modern dancer by the name of Martha Graham simply once said, "The body is a sacred garment." You bet it is, Martha...

9 comments:

  1. YEAH!!!! Blog away, my dear. I'm always happy to see someone start a blog who's smart and creative. It's a whole lot like working out... You have to commit to a schedule.

    In the meantime, I'm trying to get a "Run Club" going at my office. We have so many people here who need to get some encouragement and get *something* going. So far, so good! 10 peeps!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my secrect;

    http://draftmag.com/features/run-drink-repeat/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, you're another force to be reckoned with. you are your own breed. I don't know anyone else who runs back-to-back marathons in RIDICULOUS times and drinks beer in between. I'm a proud friend.

      Delete
  3. It's kinda scary. All judgment on me. But that's ok! Thanks, Jim. You're the King.

    It was just announced that our company is doing a challenge nationwide (thousands of employees). I'm stoked about it. Me and five other girls created a team in our office. It's measured by steps taken, minutes exercised and pounds lost over a 12 week period. I think it's going to be so fun and so motivating. I've already been tracking everything on their website and it doesn't even start until 2/6. Ha! I'm stoked! (Thank you for the encouragement, this is terrifying)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAYAYYAYAAY HEATHER! Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. Let me know if you have any questions, happy to answer them. You're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a great voice for blogging, I'm really looking forward to following this and getting some inspiration! As for my health/fitness background I'll lay it down: I was a twig all my life and could eat anything I wanted until I hit 18. Now I have to keep myself in check. I eat healthy for the most part but exercising regularly is a challenge. I hate running and the gym. I'd rather play a sport or dance. My biggest weight loss accomplishment was losing 15lbs before our wedding, and I did it by working out almost every day and eating really clean. As soon as the wedding was over I stopped. I need help just finding a healthy balance that works for me, and not one extreme or the other! I'm constantly gaining and losing the same 10lbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess. I'm hoping I can keep up with myself and keep a few people interested and involved! I've learned to put the scale away. Wellll...kinda. I will pull it out and step on it five days in a row until I'm back to a steady weight that I'm happy with and then maintain it. Between last (mid)week and Monday I had gained almost six pounds in just a few days! It's not necessarily the number/poundage itself, it's just the area - if that makes sense. I felt really ick and just watched it until it went away. My body always wants to be the old Heather. That will never go away. I think I'll fight it every day, forever. I'm ok with the up & down a few pounds here and there. My fitness routine changes so frequently that I can't expect to stay at the same exact weight. Too many factors...but I know when I'm feeling like dirt. Ugh. It's going to be a fight. I have an important little white dress to fit into this year...let's go running this summer :)

      Delete
  6. Heather!!!!! I like it. I expect loads more of these posts! And I also quit smoking...three years ago and think about it every day.
    As for health related matter, I surf. If I could do it every day, I would be in premo shape as surfing is super hard on the body. But since we live on a lake, my days in the water are sporadic. I usually try to run between dry spells and lift minimal weights (it's better to be lean than muscular for the type of crap we're doing). For the past 4 months I haven't really run a lot though, all due to being lazy. But now I'm back on the routine and feeling the positive effects. It's easier when you get the ball rolling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter!!!!! Thanks! It's fun. I hope I don't suck the life juice and bore the hell out of people. Quitting smoking was really just the best thing ever...something I never thought I could do! We rule. Surfing = awesome. How often does Jess join you? I'd love to head out there one day with her and watch. It's just not something you see in Chicago (well, not me personally anyways) and would definitely want to surf-watch. I told Jess we should head out on running trails (something I can't bring myself to do on my own) as soon as the weather breaks. Let's do this!

      Delete